Tuesday, October 12, 2010

PLANNING Fall 2010 hikes in Smoky Mountains

Welcome to my blog. Again.

As I am planning a hike in Smoky Mountains (SM) I thought I would post some images from my previous hikes and some info. This way it will be easier for those who will go with me to follow my thoughts.

Here we go.
As some of you may know I have some time constrains where it comes to hiking this Fall:)
However, I still will be able to hike for about 7 hours ( including travel time).
OK Let us cut to the chase.

I am closely following fall color reports (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fallcolor.htm and other reports).
Based on that I would like to suggest following hikes for October 16th:

1. Mount Le Conte
2. Brushy Mountain
3. Charlies Bunion

I hiked Mount Le Conte last Fall.
It was a great hike. There are several ways to get on the summit.

Check out a great blog www.highonleconte.com
The weather is unpredictable and makes it always interesting. I think.


This trail seems short but it is not the easiest.
I would love to do it again.


This is on the way to the summit of Mount Le Conte.




I hope Gaelle and Valerie do not mind that I post images of them on my blog.















































The second option is to take Trillium Trail which will lead to Brushy Mountain.
We will pass through Grotto Falls. It is a very nice waterfall (25 feet tall), the only fall you can go underneath in the Smokies.
I have been to Grotto falls twice - I believe.
Here are some images on the way to grotto Falls.













This part of the Trillium Trail is very easy and pretty. Nicholas did it last year - no problem.
We also saw a bear on that trail.












































After we reach Grotto Falls there is another ~2.1 miles to the Brushy Mountain.
I do not know that part of the trail but I do know it is a constant incline.
We should be fine.

Next, we could do Charlies Bunion trail. It is also very interesting especially toward the end of the hike.
The weather here can change dramatically. When I hike it last fall There was sun, wing, even ice falling from the sky. These conditions make this trail very interesting.












No comments: